Available now for PS4, Xbox One and PC – not PS3 and Xbox 360 – the automatic update adds an “entirely new way to play”.
It features a bunch of new game modes, additions to the GTA Online Creator and Rockstar Editor for PS4 and Xbox One – the editor has already been available for PC.
The new Freemode additions are:
- Hunt the Beast – One player is given extra strength, speed and also a hairy make-over while the other players are tasked with taking the beast out.
- King of the Castle – Players each try to claim an area and fend off the others.
- Hot Property – Players need to obtain the briefcase and try to hold onto it for the longest time possible.
- Moving Target – Once one player has entered the marked vehicle, it’s their mission to deliver it to a designated destination. It’s everyone else’s mission to stop that from happening.
- Checkpoint Challenge – This is, unsurprisingly, a race through checkpoints.
- Kill List and Kill List Competitive – Players get to use “heavy artillery” to fight mercenaries from Merryweather Security.
- Dead Drop – Similar to Hot Property, only this time the goal is to take the contraband to a drop off point.
- Penned In – A massive dome appears over Los Santos, everyone needs to find their way to it. While it shrinks players aim to knock each other outside the safety of the dome. Being outside the dome for 7 seconds results in death. Try to be the sole survivor.
- Criminal Damage – Simply use the heaviest weapons to cause the most damage within a time limit.
- Hold the Wheel – A mundane vehicle will become indestructible, fight it out to be behind the wheel when the timer runs out. Go it alone for the entire reward, or split the earnings with a gunner who can provide protection.
- Time Trial – Record the quickest time over a set course which changes each week.
- Freemode Challenges – Compete with your Freemode participants to achieve feats such as driving the longest without crashing, falling the furthest without dying and performing the longest jump.
There are also two new Adversary Modes:
- Cross the Line – Two heavily armed teams face-off to penetrate the territory of their opponents.
- Hunting Pack – One team is tasked with delivering a vehicle set to explode if it drops below a certain speed (á la Speed), the other team is tasked with taking it down.
As an extra bonus, completing any 5 of the new Freemode Events between Tuesday, September 15th and Sunday, September 20th will grant you $50,000 bonus in-game cash and an exclusive Vapid tee-shirt.
The complete details can be found here.
Grand Theft Auto V is available for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.