August’s NPD Group (Formerly the National Purchase Diary) video game sales statistics are out, and this month’s best-selling game is Madden NFL 16.
In a statement on the month’s figures, the NPD Group’s Liam Callahan commented on Madden as a successful franchise. He said “Madden NFL 16…maintains its status as a key video game franchise, ranking as the third best-selling franchise to date” (NPD began tracking game sales back in 1995, so this is significant).
In total, new software sales are up by 34% on current gen consoles, but previous gen software has suffered a 51% decline for the month. Callahan also added that “new launches have collectively declined by 16% compared to August 24 launches.”
The existence of two Call of Duty titles in the Us Top 10 was attributed to the recent Black Ops III multiplayer beta, as the Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack on 360 and PS3 ha performed much better than recent months.
The full top 10 best-selling video games (sorted only by physical retail) can be found below:
- Madden NFL 16 (Xbox 360/One, PS3/PS4)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360/One, PS3/PS4)
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PC, PS3/PS4, Xbox 360/One)
- Lego: Jurassic World (Xbox 360/One, PS3/PS4, 3DS, Vita, Wii U
- Rare Replay (Xbox One)
- Until Dawn (PS4)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC, Xbox 360/One, PS3/PS4)
The top spots will unlikely continue to be held by Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto V now we’ve hit the competitive winter release window. The field now widens for everyone as we head into christmas purchase territory, with ever-present franchises like Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty and the massively hyped Fallout 4 fight for your hard-earned cash.