Since its great reveal, I’ve been eagerly awaiting Double Fine’s remastered release of Day of the Tentacle, the cult classic point-and-click adventure by veteran designer Tim Schafer. Finally given its release date, Day of the Tentacle Remastered will be available starting March 22nd. It is available for pre-order from GOG.com. Along with graphical improvement, there are a bunch of new features including developers commentary.
According to the GOG description for the game, these are the expected features:
- 100% new hand painted, high resolution artwork
- Switch on the ﬂy between classic mode and remastered mode
- Remastered high quality voices, sound effects and music, with emulated “iMuse” style dynamic music
- Choose between two remastered music modes: modernized, re-voiced music, or classic music which sounds just like it did in the 90s
- Concept Art Browser
- Highly customizable user interface and experience, with mix and match options for old and new play styles – play with the verb bar in remastered mode, or the new verb dial in classic mode
- Commentary track with original creators: Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman, Larry Ahern, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell and Clint Bajakian.
- Game within a game: Includes full playable version of Maniac Mansion!
Day of the Tentacle follows the adventures of Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne as they return to the sequel’s previous setting, Maniac Mansion, in order to help ‘Green Tentacle’ with his ‘Purple Tentacle’ problem. The adventure transcended time not only within the game but to the hearts of many young adventure players like myself. With a colorful cast of characters, hilarious dialogue and an extremely fun ‘time manipulation’ mechanics, I am very excited to get back into this game!