Mario, Nintendo’s biggest brand and the best selling game franchise of all time, is getting his own attractions at Universal parks & resorts.
“Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure,” Nintendo’s official press release on the matter invites us to do. “Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. Question blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world.”
The release promises entire sections of these parks devoted to the Mario franchise. Beyond that, details thus far are limited: “Each Universal theme park will announce details of its specific Nintendo areas,” the release promises. “The first such announcement will come soon.”
In the meantime, they’ve provided a couple blurbs about the “areas” to consider, below. He’re hoping for a Luigi’s Mansion haunted house.
- “Nintendo-themed areas are coming to Universal Studios Japan [in Osaka], Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood.
- These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They will be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
- Guests will feel as if they are playing inside their favorite games – this time in real life.
- There will be something for everyone – regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
- Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.”