The month of September was all about sports when it came to the best-selling games for the month, and the ball was in NBA 2K16’s court as it sits at the top of that list. Madden NFL 16 found itself just below the basketball game after topping the chart during August.
The list, published by NPD, tracks the highest selling physical video games for the month of September in the United States.
“Adjusting for days on the market, NBA 2K16 had the best launch month of all-time for any NBA 2K title. In fact, for 8th generation software, NBA 2K16 had the best launch month ever for any sports Game,” Liam Callahan from NPD wrote.
As for the rest of the list, four of the 10 were sports game, three of which made up the top four spots.
“Thanks to the seven new sports releases launched in September 2015, the sports super genre accounted for 32 percent of units and 39 percent of revenue for the month,” Callahan wrote.
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Madden NFL 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, XBO, PS3, 360)
- FIFA 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Destiny: The Taken King (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Super Mario Maker (NWU)
- Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, NWU, XBO, PS4, PS3)
- Mad Max (PS4, XBO)
- NHL 16 (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, XBO, PS4)
The top four games sold best on the PlayStation 4 system, which comes at no surprise after the console itself won September as well.