Every year, the Pokemon scene soars to new heights as more new fans and competitors come together to show off their skills. This year, the franchise celebrates its 20th anniversary, and with it, there are two more champions added to the current lineup. Each year thousands of competitors try to take the crown for one of the Championship categories, and this time, two new titles will be given to Pokken Tournament players at this year.
The winners in their respective brackets are as follows:
- 2016 Pokémon TCG Junior Division World Champion, Shunto Sadahiro from Japan.
- 2016 Pokémon TCG Senior Division World Champion, Jesper Eriksen from Denmark.
- 2016 Pokémon TCG Masters Division World Champion, Shintaro Ito from Japan.
- 2016 Pokémon Video Game Junior Division World Champion, Cory Connor from the United States.
- 2016 Pokémon Video Game Senior Division World Champion, Carson Confer from the United States.
- 2016 Pokémon Video Game Masters Division World Champion, Wolfe Glick from the United States.
- 2016 Pokkén Tournament Senior Division World Champion, Josh Simmonite from the United Kingdom.
- 2016 Pokkén Tournament Masters Division World Champion, Masami Sato from Japan.
These players managed to fight their way through tough competition with 2000 fans, players and supporters filled the venue at San Francisco Marriott Marquis Hotel as 1.5 million viewers watched their matches online over the course of the three days. Over the course of the event’s existence, The Pokemon Company has given over $600,000 worth of prizes and $3 million in scholarships to the players who managed to place high at the end of the tournament.