A new patch has been released for the PS4 version of Firewatch, which according to developer Campo Santo, “significantly improves the experience across many aspects of the game.”
The update, which is available now, will improve the following list of features.
- Draw distance and shadow render distance have been improved, which should remove significant texture popping.
- Streaming loading and unloading has been significantly adjusted with extra safeties so you should no longer see loading happen right in front of you.
- We got Unity to fix a very rare hang that could occur when loading and unloading scenes.
- Many instances of unstable framerate have been improved.
- Auto-saves are now far less frequent, as they were causing the worst framerate hitches we have been seeing.
- Several places where people were escaping the world or getting stuck in collision have been refined. Also, if you are stuck in an endlessly falling state, the game will attempt to put you back, either through loading the last save or respawning Henry aboveground.
- Various cases where you were able to interrupt or break your current quest have been safeguarded.
“We’re still not done supporting Firewatch!” the developer wrote. “We’re currently working with Unity on further improving the game by upgrading to an upcoming version of their engine. We’re also planning to add subtitles for other languages to the PS4 version. While we don’t yet have a specific timeframe for these updates, we hope to announce them as we know more!”