The ever diligent folks at Paradox Interactive have revealed their newest expansion for their Cities: Skylines city builder. Along with a brand new trailer, the team have announced ‘Snowfall’. The second expansion that brings in several new features including a temperature system where the cities can be encased in snow.
According to the Paradox Interactive store, the expansion will include the following:
- Now is the Winter of This Content: Rain and fog for existing maps, plus a new “Winter” map theme with snow and all of its challenges
- The Streetcars You Desire: Expanded public transportation options, including easier management of existing lines – and Trams, a new system demanded by fans
- World Warmth, Too: Cold weather increases demands for electricity, unless new water-based heat systems are in place
- Plowers to the People: Build a snowplow depot to keep traffic flowing during winter weather, and employ new road maintenance systems to keep your streets in shape
- New Chirps: #yeahthereare
As mentioned in the quotation above, the game will have cosmetic weather effects such as rain and fog. What wasn’t mentioned was that these features will actually be in a free update to Cities Skylines, along with various other features. These are still to be announced at a later date.
In a nutshell, Snowfall will add the snow mechanic to the game. This will add a new layer of city management which includes catering to frosted roads, new winter tourist attractions and insatiable needs to use electricity to stay warm. Much like the ‘After Dark‘ expansion, the base game is still playable with the expansion only existing to add a bit more spice and variety to the game.
There is no official release for Snowfall yet, not is there a price. But if precedence occurs, Snowfall will follow After Dark’s price of $15 USD.