Going live today, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is receiving a mandatory 5GB update, bringing multiple changes to the game’s multiplayer.
Along with the behind the scenes improvements coming in the update, Coalition is also making a host of changes to the game’s multiplayer playlists and introducing a new event. Blitz has been moved from competitive matches to social matches in the hopes that the ability for new players to join the match in-progress will keep games from unfairly tilting one way or the other. This comes as the update makes kills in social matches, as well as competitive matches, count towards the Seriously achievement.
Also in terms of playlists, Warzone has returned as a permanent playlist and Assassination has returned temporarily. Due to a substantially lower player count, Assassination is being kept temporary, but will continued to be offered as a special event so players can get the Mix It Up achievement.
Check out the abbreviated patch notes below:
- Kills in Social playlists now also count towards the ‘Seriously’ achievement
- Improvements to Boomshot hit registration
- Addressed some matchmaking issues that caused long wait times
- Improvements to hit registration on downed enemies (sponging)
- Small improvements to the Left Trigger Issue
- Fixed hit detection when shooting an enemy in cover against the top pillars on Clocktower
- Removed POI on Right Stick for Alternate Control Scheme (Point of Interest, POI, is usually the Y button. Players using the Alternate Control Scheme were seeing it activated accidentally.)
- Increased Execution XP to better match the gain in other modes
- Moved Blitz from Competitive to Social
- Added a new Competitive TDM playlist
- Returned Warzone as a permanent playlist
- Returned Assassination as a playlist for a limited time
- Bug fixes and general improvements
To celebrate the changes to the Seriously achievement, there will be an in-game special event called Seriously TDM. “Grab some friends and get slaying with 30 respawn TDM in a first to two round scenario, helping you rack up the kills on your march towards Seriously in Ultimate Edition. This mode can be found in the ‘Social’ category until 12pm PST on February 29th.”
What do you think of the changes? Let us know in the comments.