For those that have picked up the season pass or the Digital Deluxe version of Battleborn, Alani, the first new character to enter the game, is now live. A water-controlling monk, she just costs one Hero Key to unlock and comes packed with enough water-bending power to make any Avatar: The Last Airbender fan go weak at the knees.
Currently only available through early access, Alani will be unlockable for everyone else starting May 31. But since she’s in the game, there’s already plenty of footage of her and her skills in action. “As a warrior from a planet with vast seas, Alani’s attacks and abilities revolve around her power to control water to dish out pain, or heal her fellow Battleborn,” 2K explains. Her skills include:
- TORRENT: Through years of training in Ket, her order’s martial art, Alani has honed her ability to control water, hurling water bolts to damage enemies.
- WELLSPRING: Channeling her focus and strength, Alani heals herself for a small amount or envelopes an ally in water to heal them.
- RIPTIDE: Alani sends forth a wave of water that deals damage to enemies, pushes them away, and leaves a trail hastening allies’ movement speed.
- GEYSER: Calling upon the power of the oceans, a groundswell erupts, knocking enemies into the air, damaging and binding them.
- EMERGENCE: Alani summons a water dragon that deals damage to everything caught in its wake.
- (Passive) OSMOSIS: Alani’s healing abilities swell and recede like the tide. Successfully landing hits with Torrent grants up to three stacks to temporarily increase the healing power of Wellspring.
Not satisfied with simply releasing a new character however, 2K also teased the next one. The second of the five promised new characters will be Pendles. “Hailing from the water world of Akopos, and pals with Alani, Pendles is a cold-blooded killer. No, literally. This anthropomorphized reptile will ssssneak up on you, poison you, perforate you with dual kamas then – poof – disappear without leaving a trace. Oh, yeah, and he wears a dope pair of sneakers,” 2K says.
Pendles will release some time next month and will can be unlocked with 47,500 in-game credits, or with the use of a Hero Key.
To celebrate the release of Alani, Battleborn is currently on sale for $20 off on the 2K Store. What do you think of the new Battleborn additions? Let us know in the comments.